People sometimes complain that they don't know what to get me on occasions when that's appropriate (hi, Mom!). So below is a list of stuff I'm interested in having, roughly categorized and in no particular order.
- Anything by Rilo Kiley, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Spoon, Colbie Caillat, or Sarah Bareilles
- 21, by Adele
- ...Featuring Norah Jones, by Norah Jones
- Car Wheels on a Gravel Road, Lucinda Williams
- Sister, by Letters to Cleo
- Infinite possibilities, by Amel Larrieux
- Mama's Gun, by Erykah Badu
- Bowmboï, by Rokia Traoré
- Humming by the Flowered Vine, by Laura Cantrell
- Dreaming Wide Awake, by Lizz Wright
Generally I like: mysteries with a sense of humor; fantasy that isn't horribly cliched; books about food and cooking; books about politics and culture; and books by and/or about women. Don't be all funny and get me something by Ann Coulter just because I said that. Maybe I should change that to, "books by and/or about women who are not bigoted sociopaths."
Authors of whom I am fond: Pat Conroy, Barbara Kingsolver, Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, Jennifer Weiner, bell hooks, Lawrence Block, Susan Wittig Albert, Melanie Rawn, Toni Morrison, Neil Gaiman, Neal Stephenson. Unless otherwise specified, please assume I own everything written by each of these folks; this list is just to give you an idea of my taste. I have a wish list at Powell's under lioness at ology. And here's some other specific stuff I want:
- Paint It Black, by Janet Fitch
- Wishful Drinking, by Carrie Fisher
- The Hunger Games and sequels, by Suzanne Collins
- Dreamers of the Day, by Mary Doria Russell
- Palm Latitudes, by Kate Braverman
- Briar Rose, by Jane Yolen
- Sister Mine, by Tawni O'Dell
- Operating Instructions, Rosie, All New People, by Anne Lamott
- City of Glass by Douglas Coupland
- Anything about politics by Steven Gillom
- Choice Cuts, edited by Mark Kurlansky
- Flux, by Peggy Orenstein
- Another Planet: A Year in the Life of a Suburban High School, by
- Joe College, by Tom Perrotta
- The Silk Road, by Jane Summer
- Cookbooks: French, Thai, Chinese, American, Greek; and
anything by Rick Bayless, Charlie Trotter, Alice Waters, James Beard, or Caprial Pence.
- The Splendid Table, by Lynne Rosetto Kasper
- Daria: The Complete Animated Series
- Singin' in the Rain
- Whip It
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
- American History X
- LA Story
- Lara Croft Tomb Raider
- Shawshank Redemption
- Silence of the Lambs
- Muppet Movie
- Serving pieces. I prefer clean, modern shapes in shades of red or white pottery, dark wood, or nickel/silver.
- A cheese board and cheese knives.
- Big square tablecloths. If you've seen my living/dining area, you know these should be in creamy shades of ivory, taupe, or brown. Red would also be nice. My table is 60" square and extends another 18".
- A beautiful soup tureen, suitable for serving at table.
- A large, round, clay casserole with a lid. Should be at least 4" tall.
- I always dig good wine. I like buttery Chardonnay without smoky oak; crisp, citrusy Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc; all kinds of Riesling; big, frisky reds like Zinfandel and Shiraz; all kinds of dessert wine; and this particular Italian sparkling red, Brachetto D'Acqui. I also love port, Sauternes, muscat, grappa (especially the chamomile-infused sort), and good whiskey. I tend to prefer wines from places other than Europe, but I've been known to dig Spanish and Italian.
- Organic and/or fair trade shower gels, lotions, and lip balm
- Anything vanilla or lavender from The Body Shop, or any of
their body butters
- Fun bath stuff! We have this ludicrous bathtub, and I like to be in it. I enjoy fizzy, bubbly things that smell like vanilla, lavender, ginger, chamomile, lemon, jasmine, cinnamon, roses, gardenia, pomegranate, blackberry, honey, caramel, blackcurrant, or orange.
- Socks. Lots of them, preferably comfy and soft, in black, purple, navy, and dark red. I like extra fluffy redonkulous pairs for wearing around the house, and I need more pairs for grown-up wear. I'm really serious. I need socks.
- Hair jewelry. Basically anything pretty that will show up in blonde hair and make me look like a grown-up while also keeping my hair out of my face.
- Jewelry! Guidance: I like earrings and necklaces. I don't much wear bracelets, and I prefer to choose my own rings. I like dangling or chandelier earrings, and hoops with personality. I like wires, not studs or posts. I dislike chokers; I like heavy pendants and long necklaces (at least 18 inches). Don't be shy about size - I like big pieces and can carry them off well. I tend to like pink, red, blue, green, and purple stones. I prefer silver to gold, ethically and aesthetically. Please be careful about metals! I can't wear copper, brass, and gold "fill" or plate, because my freakishly acidic skin will literally eat through them. For real. I'm not kidding.
I like a lot of the stuff at Lura Jewelry, SkyDreams, Alice Istanbul, and Novica.
When I say hoops with personality, I mean stuff like this or this.
Good places to get me gift certificates
- Container Store
- BookPeople or Powells.com
- The iTunes music store
But you know, since we are blessed to have so much of what we want, I would also be very happy if you donated in my name to any of the following:
Got questions? Email the boy. He's tilt at ology dot org.
- Capital Area Food Bank
- Feminist Majority Foundation
- Heifer International - give someone a goat or a llama from me!
- Ms. Foundation for Women
- Oxfam, which does many cool things to make trade fair, fight poverty, and so much more
- my local Planned Parenthood - did you know President Bush's grandfather was on his local affiliate's board back in the day?
- SafePlace, the local women's shelter and rape crisis center
- UNFPA, the UN Population Fund, which, among other things, helps people in the developing world get good health care
Last modified: December 13, 2010